“St Anthony Prayer Novena” – 15 Top Facts to Unlock Heaven’s Protection with St Anthony
The power of the St Anthony Prayer Novena is so amazing! This St Anthony Prayer Novena has brought comfort and blessings to millions over the years.
Across centuries, faithful devotees have called upon Saint Anthony’s blessing through the sanctified words of the “St Anthony Prayer Novena.” This meaningful nine-day prayer ritual invites the holy intercession of this patron saint of lost things, beseeching his aid in difficult times.
In this blog, we will thoughtfully explore the roots and significance of the “St Anthony Prayer Novena” tradition, examining how St. Anthony became known for providing generous, miraculous assistance to those in hardship who persevered in invoking his name.
We will reflect upon uplifting historical accounts of blessings received by pious petitioners who steadfastly prayed this novena in their hour of need. Additionally, we will look at how to leverage the power of this devotion, so that St. Anthony’s grace may continue to touch lives today.
By humbly and regularly calling upon his help through the “St Anthony Prayer Novena,” we open ourselves to this saint’s gift of heavenly intercession guiding our path.
What is the St. Anthony novena prayer?
The St Anthony Prayer Novena is a prayer said over the course of 9 days, asking for the intercession of St. Anthony of Padua. A novena prayer is an ancient tradition in the Catholic church, consisting of devotional praying over 9 consecutive days. Novenas are often prayed in preparation for a feast day or as petitions for special needs.
The St Anthony Prayer Novena is a very popular novena prayed by Catholics worldwide. St. Anthony of Padua was a Franciscan friar and priest who lived in the 13th century. He was known as a gifted preacher and miracle worker both during his life and after his death. Devotion to St. Anthony arose quickly after his death, as many miracles were attributed to his intercession. St. Anthony became known as the “saint finder of lost articles” because of prayers for his help in finding lost items that were answered.
The traditional St Anthony Prayer Novena asks for his aid, guidance, and intercession for nine consecutive days. Those praying the novena frequently ask St. Anthony to help find lost items, lost people, or solutions to difficult problems. This novena has proven to be very powerful, leading to millions of Catholics praying to St. Anthony’s help over the centuries.
What are the words to the St. Anthony novena prayer?
There are a few variations on the wording used in the traditional St Anthony Prayer Novena. Here is one common version:
“O holy St. Anthony, gentlest of Saints, your love for God and Charity for His creatures, made you worthy, when on earth, to possess miraculous powers. Miracles waited on your word, which you were ever ready to speak for those in trouble or anxiety.
Encouraged by this thought, I implore you to obtain for me (state request here). The answer to my prayer may require a miracle. Even so, you are the Saint of Miracles. O gentle and loving St. Anthony, whose heart was ever full of human sympathy, whisper my petition into the ears of Sweet Infant Jesus, who loved to be folded in your arms; and the gratitude of my heart will ever be yours. Amen.”
This prayer is then typically repeated each day of the novena, with faith that God will answer the prayer intention through St. Anthony’s intercession. Some may add in their specific intention or request where noted in the prayer.
How do you pray the St. Anthony novena?
Here are the simple steps to follow when praying the St Anthony Prayer Novena:
1. Choose your intention for the novena – This may be finding a lost item, needing employment, healing for a loved one, wisdom for a life decision, etc. Hold this intention clearly.
2. Find a St Anthony Prayer Novena – Use a traditional prayer like the one above, or find another that resonates.
3. Start praying the novena – Begin by praying the St Anthony Prayer Novena once on the first day.
4. Pray the prayer every day – Recite the same prayer each day for the following 8 days to complete the 9 days.
5. Pray with expectant faith – Pray sincerely with the belief that God will hear and answer the novena prayer.
6. Stay open to divine aid – Look for spiritual signs and guidance as you pray through the novena.
7. For lost items – If praying for a lost object, promising to give thanks to St. Anthony if the item is found is customary.
8. Mark the ninth day – On the ninth day, offer thanks to St. Anthony for his intercession in either obtaining or not obtaining the exact request.
9. Express gratitude – After completing the full St Anthony Prayer Novena, thank God and this saint for their blessings and aid.
When should I pray the St. Anthony novena?
The St Anthony Prayer Novena can be prayed at any time there is a special need or intention. However, there are certain traditional times when the St Anthony Prayer Novena is commonly prayed:
– In preparation for the Feast of St. Anthony on June 13th. Many Catholics begin the novena on June 4th leading up to his feast day 9 days later.
– On Tuesdays – St. Anthony is associated with Tuesdays in many Catholic traditions and praying the novena on Tuesdays is very popular.
– When a person has lost something or someone – This novena has a strong connection with finding what is lost, so it is traditionally prayed for help finding missing items or loved ones.
– In difficult times – If a person is going through a struggle or an important unresolved problem, praying this novena can bring comfort and guidance.
– During Advent or Lent – The novena is sometimes prayed as part of seasonal prayers during the Advent and Lent liturgical seasons.
– Before making an important decision – If someone is facing an important decision, they may pray this novena for discernment and wisdom.
So in summary – any time a person needs special heavenly assistance, praying the St Anthony Prayer Novena for 9 days can be spiritually powerful and effective. The novena brings requests straight to this saint known for miraculous intercession.
What is St. Anthony the patron saint of?
St. Anthony of Padua is the Catholic patron saint of many causes, situations, and professions. He is most celebrated as the patron and protector of:
– Lost articles/lost people
– Poor and oppressed people
– Pregnant women
– Elderly people
– Starving people
– American Indians
– Missing children
– The elderly
He is also traditionally honored as the patron saint against:
Overall, St. Anthony of Padua is invoked as a patron for finding lost or stolen things, providing protection and aid in difficult times, and bringing comfort and guidance to those in need.
Why pray to St. Anthony?
There are many reasons Catholics and other Christians choose to pray to St. Anthony of Padua, including:
– He is the saint of lost articles – Anthony is traditionally known for helping locate and recover lost or stolen objects through his intercession.
– He is a powerful intercessor – Those who pray to Anthony report many miraculous blessings, healings, and prayers answered in difficult times.
– Quick aid – God seems to grant requests made to St. Anthony very swiftly.
– Protection of the vulnerable – He sacrificially served the poor and vulnerable.
– Comfort in anxiety – Anthony consoles those suffering under heavy burdens and worries.
– Healing, especially pregnancies – Many miracles associated with Anthony involve healing dangerous pregnancies and fertility issues.
– Calming of storms – This saint’s protection has been invoked during storms at sea.
– Security in travel – He protects travelers on journeys.
– Wisdom and discernment – Anthony helps guide difficult life choices.
– Closeness to Jesus – He was known in his life for his personal devotion to contemplating Jesus.
– Holiness – Anthony exemplified sanctity and Gospel living as a faithful friar.
How long is the St. Anthony novena?
The St Anthony Prayer Novena traditionally lasts for 9 days. It begins on one day with praying the specific St Anthony Prayer Novena, and then the prayer is recited daily for the following 8 consecutive days. The 9th day completes the full novena.
Novena comes from the Latin word for nine – “novem.” The practice of novenas and praying over 9 days has been part of the Catholic tradition dating back to the early church.
Different novena prayers may last for longer periods, but the original and most typical length is the 9-day devotion. The number 9 in Christianity is connected with biblical concepts like the 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit and the 9 choirs of angels.
When a 9-day St Anthony Prayer Novena is completed with sincerity and faith, Catholics believe it releases the full power of Anthony’s intercession. The novena is not a quick “magic wand” but rather a way of repeatedly calling on Anthony’s aid.
What are St. Anthony medals or chaplets?
St. Anthony medals and St. Anthony chaplets are sacramentals blessed and used for devotions to St. Anthony of Padua.
Sacramentals are holy objects that have been blessed and are used to focus faith and prayer. Sacramentals associated with St. Anthony include:
– Medals – These are small rounded engraved images depicting St. Anthony on one side and religious symbols on the other. Medals can be worn, displayed, or carried.
– Chaplets – Chaplets are looped strings of beads used for devotional bead prayers to saints. Chaplets of St. Anthony have 13 knotted cords with 3 beads each that can be used to pray in honor of Anthony.
– Statues – Statues and other images depicting St. Anthony are common in many Catholic churches worldwide.
– Holy cards – These small paper cards have an image of St. Anthony on one side and a prayer on the reverse. They are meant to be kept in a wallet or prayer book.
Catholics use these St. Anthony sacramentals along with prayers like the St Anthony Prayer Novena for his intercession and to feel closer to his holy example. Having a physical object connects believers to Anthony’s blessings and aid.
What should I pray for with the St Anthony Prayer Novena?
Some common prayer intentions include:
– Help finding lost items – This is the novena’s most traditional intention, praying for Anthony’s aid in locating lost objects.
– Employment – Many pray to St. Anthony for help finding a job or new career opportunity.
– Recovery of health – Healing from sickness, injuries, and medical problems.
– Consolation in anxieties – Asking for more trust and less worry when facing life’s troubles.
– Wisdom for decisions – Clarity when needing to make an important choice.
– Struggling relationships – Asking Anthony to intervene in damaged relationships and restore peace.
– A new home – Successfully finding an appropriate place to live.
– The means to pay off debt – Asking for resources or opportunities to resolve financial difficulties.
– Safe travel – Requesting protection when needing to take trips near or far.
– Lost pets – Anthony’s care for animals makes him the saint to pray to when a pet goes missing.
Whatever intention is held in the heart, the St Anthony Prayer Novena is a powerful prayer to God for breakthroughs and miracles.
Are there specific St. Anthony novena prayers for lost items?
Yes, within the tradition of the St Anthony Prayer Novena, there are certain prayers invoking his help that are used when looking for something lost.
A common one referred to simply as the “Prayer to Find What is Lost” goes:
“St. Anthony, perfect imitator of Jesus, who received from God the special power of restoring lost things, grant that I may find [name the item] which has been lost. At least restore to me peace and tranquility of mind, the loss of which has afflicted me even more than my material loss.
To this favor I ask another of you: that I may always remain in possession of the true good that is God. Let me rather lose all things than lose God, my supreme good. Let me never suffer the loss of my greatest treasure, eternal life with God. Amen.”
Another popular prayer is:
“Dear St. Anthony, you are the patron of the lost. I turn to you today with a humble heart asking that you enter my life and help me find what I have lost. I don’t know how I lost [item], but I ask that you reunite it with me. Saint Anthony, I put my trust in your intercession that I may find [item] soon. Amen.”
Traditionally, if the lost item is found after praying to St. Anthony, the finder will repay the blessing by donating to the poor as an act of gratitude.
How can I make a Catholic Pilgrimage to see St. Anthony?
For sincere followers of St. Anthony who faithfully beseech his holy intercession through devoted repetition of the sanctified “St Anthony Prayer Novena”, planning and embarking upon a prayerful pilgrimage to visit the blessed shrines and sites associated with this beloved saint’s life and ministry provides an incredibly impactful opportunity to more profoundly connect with and experience St. Anthony’s blessed presence.
Making a pilgrimage offers devoted disciples a contemplative space away from routine struggles to literally walk in St. Anthony’s footsteps along the very paths he took. Pilgrims can trace his travels across Europe and pray earnestly at sacred locations like his tomb, immersing completely in his holy legacy of miracles and boundless compassion. The “St Anthony Prayer Novena” takes on new dimensions of meaning when uttered in sites imbued with his grace.
What Other Prominent Catholic Saints Are Located Near St. Anthony?
While undertaking a pilgrimage to pray in heartfelt veneration at the central Basilica of St. Anthony located in Padua, Italy, where his tomb containing holy relics resides, pilgrims have the opportunity to enrich their spiritual journey even further by also visiting nearby churches and cathedrals that house other important Catholic saints as well.
Most well-known is the stunning Scrovegni Chapel completely covered in elaborate frescoes done by Giotto depicting the life of Jesus. The magnificent Basilica of Santa Giustina honors the remains of this beloved early martyr. Taking time to venerate these kindred spirits in faith who walked closely with Christ amplifies blessings received through repeating the “St Anthony Prayer Novena” on the pilgrimage.
Arranging Travel Logistics to Visit St. Anthony’s Holy Sites in Europe
In order to fully undertake a focused pilgrimage to kneel and pray in veneration at St. Anthony’s tomb and other related sacred sites, thoughtful advance planning and arrangement of all travel logistics is required. Having a scheduled itinerary helps maximize time for spiritual experiences like repeating the “St Anthony Prayer Novena” at his basilica.
Working with a reputable tour group specializing in religious travel eases the burden of organizing international flights, local transportation, suitable lodgings, and meals, allowing pilgrims peace of mind to simply pray and reflect. Meticulous arrangements permit smooth transitions between locations along the journey to encounter St. Anthony’s grace.
I’ve done a lot of traveling. I’ve visited a number of countries, including America, Scotland, Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, The Vatican, Switzerland, France, Milan, and all of Israel. I’ll soon be in Turkey.
I have extensive knowledge of all facets of travel. I’ve provided you with a few straightforward tools to assist you in getting ready for your holiday.
- Find cheap flights for your journey HERE
- A Car Rental
- Taxi Drivers
- Bus or Train Tickets
- Choose the Perfect Hotel for Your Trip HERE
- Fun Events for Your Journey
- Travel Insurance
- Phone for Traveling
Time to pack your bags! 🙂
How Can Praying to St. Anthony and Visiting His Shrine Help Transform My Life and Spirit?
Regularly praying the “St Anthony Prayer Novena” invokes St. Anthony’s holy blessing and guidance over our daily human struggles and challenges. But pairing these devoted prayers with the act of pilgrimage facilitates an even more profoundly intimate connection with this compassionate patron saint who aids us.
Kneeling and praying where St. Anthony once walked the earth immerses us more completely in his miraculous legacy, allowing deeper reflection that inspires renewed commitment to living with greater love, faith, and service after returning home. St. Anthony’s heavenly light guides us to transform our own actions and mindset to emulate his Christ-centered example. His blessing, pilgrimage, and prayer reshape our souls to strive toward sainthood.
Are You Inspired?
Do you feel any inspiration or motivation from the lessons we’ve learned about the St Anthony Prayer Novena? Biographies of saints make for interesting reading and conversation. It’s highly likely to bear spiritual fruit in our life.
Would you like a straightforward way to talk to your loved ones about the saints? Why don’t you purchase one of these amazing shirts I made just for you? You can use the search box at the top of this website to hunt for your favorite famous saints. You might reply by sharing the lives of your favorite well-known saints when others ask you about the importance of your clothes in this way.
These inspiring stories might even persuade them to go to church with you. Even better, you might be able to introduce them to the Gospel. Romans 3:23 says that everyone has sinned and is short of the glory of God. Therefore, everyone needs a Savior.
God made a provision for us to become His children by sending His one and only son to meet the demands of the law. Rom. 4:15–16
Jesus had to come to Earth, live a blameless life, and die in order to offer the ultimate atonement for our sins. The Bible says it like this…
“Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.”
– Hebrews 9:22
However, Jesus’ crucifixion, execution, and burial were not the end of the story. No, he survived the grave! Because He is alive, He promises to bring us back to life once we pass away. He overcame sin and death once and for all. Hallelujah!
After sharing this important information with your family, friends, and acquaintances, invite them to the local Catholic church’s RCIA program.
Through the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults, or RCIA, family members, friends, and acquaintances can join the Catholic Church and qualify to receive the Holy Sacraments. Students can learn everything they need to know about our glorious Christian religion and our Compassionate Jesus by participating in RCIA sessions given by their parish.
This is the genuine method of saving a life. I’m making this wish for you.
Click HERE or on the image to view this St Anthony Prayer Novena T-shirt that was specially created for you. Choose your favorite size and color, then click the BUY NOW button to proceed to the payment page.
You can access a list of additional well-known saints by going HERE.
Are you free to read about another saint now that you have read the St Anthony Prayer Novena?
Why not look into:
- Discover Famous Saints: 12 Top Tips to Inspire Your Soul With Stories of the World’s Most Beloved Famous Saints
- ‘Prayer for Our Mother of Perpetual Help’ – 11 Top Tips to This Inspiring Prayer that Will Reignite Your Devotion
- St. Thérèse of Lisieux: Top 11 Joyful Spirituality Aspects of Her Shining Light for Our Times
- Feel Christ’s Presence With the “St Kateri Tekakwitha Prayer” – Our Top 15 Facts & Exclusive Guide
Have you ever considered revisiting this page each day to learn more about the Saint of the Day after reading about this St Anthony Prayer Novena? If you’d like to receive my daily saint emails in your inbox, kindly take a moment to join up. Since I realize you have a lot on your plate, I’ll keep it brief, but I’ll say more because I want you to take something away from me and continually strive to do better.
I’ll provide you a Mother Mary printable as a freebie to display in your residence or place of business. As soon as you submit the form, I’ll send you an email with a link to download it.
Well, that’s all for today.
I’ll see you back tomorrow with another Saint of the Day to inspire you!
God bless you,